Saturday 16 November 2013

Relaxer Day #3: My Attempt at DIY Texlax!

Nothing comes easy.....and stretching your relaxer in order to prevent overlapping and gain length is one of the not-so-easy things one can do when on a relaxed hair journey. Yeah, I got kinda tired this time of handling my hair like a cookie; too afraid it will crumble. Don't blame me cos it's really hard juggling marriage, work, kids, studies (pretty non-existent) and almighty DIY Haircare aka Waist Length journey....lol!!

Honestly, I got pretty frustrated because I want to get braids real bad but the only person I can trust to handle my hair, both relaxed and new growth with utmost care to reduce breakage had travelled and I can't wait for her anymore. The yearning had become more like a pregnancy craving. You just have to get it!!

So I looked back at my last stretch and then I realised why I suffered so much breakage. It was the braid sessions I had with 2 different hairdressers who were just not into working with so much new growth. I remember I had to keep telling them to comb carefully and they kept telling me to get a relaxer. I'm sure they must have done me in.....hair envy!! So to avoid any such setback again, I decided to tame my new growth their way....lol! But this time, with the hairdresser who knows how to work with my hair gone, I decided to self-relax/texlax.

Texlaxing had been on my mind for a long while though I have thick relaxed hair. So it's just an Oliver Twist decision to gain more thickness. I have coarse hair so I usually process my hair for 18 minutes. I decided to process for 15 minutes which is the time for normal hair.....including application time. I didn't mix the relaxer with any oils but I left the smoothing process out totally. I didn't massage at all either. So here is my picture story of my DIY first texlax day........

relaxer day products
My relaxer day "cant-do-withouts" . I used ORS Replenishing conditioner when I felt my hair was too hard when I was done with the above products. My leave-ins were Infusium 23, Hawaiian Silky herbal leave-in and IC polisher.

relaxer day

Sectioned my hair into four parts after thoroughly detangling again and held it in place with clips. Realise then I had no pretroleum jelly! I looked through my stash and found a moisturiser I bought for my daughter and don't use anymore because it had petroleum jelly, lanolin, mineral oil as the top ingredients. I used it to base my entire scalp, ears and forehead. I then applied hemp oil all over my relaxed hair.


relaxer in hair



relaxer in hair




I applied the relaxer quickly starting from the back as it grows faster and thicker there. I didn't smooth it in at all with a comb. It took about 10 minutes to complete my whole head. I rinsed out after exactly 15 minutes.
1. Applied Vitale Revive Conditioner. Left it in for 5 minutes.
2. Applied ORS Aloe Shampoo, worked into a lather, left it in for 5 minutes then rinsed. Shampooed 2 more times and rinsed.
3. Applied Vitale Positive Conditioner, left it in for 5 minutes and rinsed.
4. Applied Roux Porosity Condtioner, left it in for 2 inutes and rinsed.

My hair is usually soft after using Roux, but not today. On relaxer days, my hair gets really stiff so I know not to blame the products.

5. I applied ORS Replenishing Conditioner and covered with a shower cap and went about my baby business. Rinsed out after a long while and rollerset.

texlaxed hair


6. Sat under the dryer for 30 minutes, then 15 minutes as it was not totally dry.


airdrying





 7. I gave up and decided to airdry. Sitting under the dryer for long gives me the creeps.

armpit length hair
Is APL where my blog address is written?!

100% dry and I'm loving my results. My ever-active whatsapp hairlista group friends say I'm APL already!! That is really coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!

Am I really Armpit Length? 

Cheers,
Star.

6 comments:

Thanks for stopping by! Would love it if you left your comments below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...