Wednesday 19 December 2012

Itchy and sore scalp!




Itch here, itch there!!....heeeeeeeeeeeeelp..lol!!

Ever had braids and experienced itchiness or soreness of the scalp? Or do you ordinarily have an itchy scalp no matter what? This can be very uncomfortable and painful especially for those with very sensitive scalp. I do not have problems with dandruff or have an itchy scalp even when I braid my hair....but with this new hairdresser I got my braids from; and this is the second time, I noticed my scalp itches real bad and feels sore just as it did with the first one. With the first braid, i thought i needed to wash more because my scalp was used to 2 to 3 washes a week but now, I’m not sure. Maybe she has itch-transferring fingers......lol!!

After almost a week and the itch refusing to subside, I need a remedy. I first needed reasons why my scalp was itching in the first place and these are some answers I got that may apply to me.

a.       Tightness of braids: For sure, she braids okay but she styles her buns too tightly. She insists this is to help to keep the style longer......since most people who got this type of braid kept it in for 2 months, before they wash and re-style it for another 2 months (sometimes)!! If your hairdresser braids too tightly, either ask her to loosen her grip or go somewhere else if she insists on doing it tightly. My bun loosened on its own after about 3 days but the itch and soreness is still there!!

   
b.      Dry scalp: Though my black hair is often dry because of excessive heat and sun exposure, it does not necessarily mean I have dry scalp. At least I don’t think so...lol! But it is a possibility. I haven’t washed my scalp in a week and I haven’t done anything else to it apart from oiling it sparingly with JBCO and T444Z. I oil it SPARINGLY to avoid build-up because I may not wash my hair the whole month.

c.       Sun Exposure: The scalp, when exposed to the elements may become sensitive to the heat and sun. I barely step out of the office till I close at 5 pm and my scalp is not exposed to the sun but maybe, the 3 min walk I make from the main gate to my office is enough time for my scalp to reach to heat and sun exposure.

d.      An allergic reaction: If one wears braid extensions, especially synthetic braids, it is possible to experience an allergic reaction to chemicals used to treat the hair. Human hair may not give the same reaction when used to braid or weave. Now, I used Outre the last time I braided. I have used Outre for years and I doubt that I’m allergic to it. I have never used wool or yarn to braid before so maybe......I dunno! I read some suggestions to rinse hair with Apple Cider Vinegar if it is synthetic to neutralise some of the chemicals in it. Human hair or synthetic hair is okay to use, but using a high-quality brand with fewer irritating and low-quality chemicals in it helps with this problem if one has it.


What can one do about an annoying scalp itch then? I’m going to try these solutions and see which one works for me. 


  • ·        Moisturizing Oil:  Using oil may very well help relieve a dry scalp that might just be thirsty. Jojoba Oil, Peppermint Oil or Tea Tree Oil is strongly recommended. I have none of these oils at the moment but I intend to buy a braid spray tomorrow and I will definitely look for a product that has one or all of these oils in it. I will either spray it on or spray onto my fingertips and gently work it onto my scalp between my braids. This will also give me the 5-10 minute scalp massage I have promised to do every other day until I can do it every day.


  •       Shampoo: Weekly or bi-weekly shampooing, though very necessary in hot climates isn't on everyone's agenda, especially most ladies who don't want to mess up a hairstyle that took hours to achieve and cost a bit of money, or who simply do not know they can shampoo with braids. Our scalp needs to be cleansed on a regular basis, even when wearing braids. You can shampoo your scalp without messing up your hair. Cleansing in the shower in order to keep the hair in a vertical position really helps. Let the water cascade through the hair, working through your braids very gently with your fingers. Apply shampoo to your hands and work it onto your scalp, taking care to rub it in. The downward motion of the water will carry the shampoo onto your braids, so there's no need to vigorously work lather into them.

  •      Antiseptic or Astringent: In-between shampoos try a scalp antiseptic or astringent. These are available in some pharmacies and cosmetic shops. Apply it to a cotton ball or swab and dab it on the itchy areas on your scalp only. This can greatly relieve your itch till the next shampoo, but it shouldn't take the place of regular cleansing. In some cases, facial astringent has been claimed to work fine too. Listerine mouthwash has also been suggested for this purpose. Most braid sprays contain antiseptics and I’d surely look out for one that has some of the following ingredients listed as these have antiseptic qualities. Wheat germ, allantoin, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, arctium majus root extract also known as burdock root, behentrimonium chloride, camphor, Chamomile flower extract, etc.
Read more on ingredients in your hair and skin products at;   (http://www.tamarasskincare.com/ingredients/)

More importantly, eat well and drink lots and lots of water to ensure your body and your scalp gets all the nutrition it needs.
Will keep you posted on what works and hope I don’t have to keep patting my itch till Christmas day!! Season’s Greetings!!

1 comment:

  1. Very helpful solutions and lol @transferring itchy fingers hahaha I know where you are coming from. Ever since i was young i can remember comments like "she has bad hands" refering to the hairdresser etc when someone's hair was done and the scalp ended up itchy or full of dandruffs or some disease the opposite was "she has good hands" if everything turned out well after the braiding session.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Would love it if you left your comments below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...